Thursday, December 13, 2007

Never ignore a recall notification

It was about 3 years ago that we received notification of a potential fire hazard with the Vornado portable heater I'd purchased a year or so earlier.

Because it was about this time of year, I decided to take my chances. After all, when it's cold outside, this office is pretty cool as well, considering one wall is all north-facing windows, and the ceiling is high. So I use my heater a lot.

After getting through that winter without a problem, I was thinking I would send it back to be replaced in the spring when I didn't need it. I never did, and have used it each winter since then.

Today we had a situation.



txrad heard a popping/crackling noise and saw sparks. You can see a spot on the heater at the top is slightly melted. So he has it boxed up and ready to send back to the manufacturer tomorrow.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do in the meantime about my personal comfort level. It could take weeks to get the replacement unit. I'm really tempted to get one of those new EdenPure quartz infrared heaters.

Supposedly, there's no fire risk, and the unit itself is always comfortable to touch, and poses no risk to children (like we have any of those!) or pets. And yet this model heats up to 1,000 square feet.

Unless someone can convince me otherwise, and fast, I may be ordering one of these.

Blog Archive